I’m sorry I didn’t meet up with you earlier; is now a good time?
So much has happened this week.
I ran a marathon and set a personal record: 3 hours 58 minutes 6 seconds. Huzzah!
Monday was a holiday and I enjoyed the time off. Of course, I didn’t rest and did my usual stationary biking.
Tuesday our school had a special visitor: the police department! They were there to present an award to a student for winning their annual essay contest. This year’s theme: “What It Means to be a Good Citizen”.
I’ve had a great time with my physics class as they work on a few projectile projects. If the weather is good next week, we’ll be able to go outside and see if they work.
Wednesday was cold and rainy, so I tried my hand at making homemade tomato soup. Of course we had grilled cheese with it: Muenster and hickory-smoked Gruyere with caramelized onions on potato bread.
Here’s a picture of the leftovers:
Krystal, who doesn’t usually like tomato soup, loved this hearty dish and made sure I’d written down the recipe:
Jay’s Tomato Dipping Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced (or 1.5 teaspoons jarred)
- 1 large can tomato puree (28-32 oz)
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 large bay leaf
- black pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil
- 2 tbsp honey or sugar (I used brown sugar)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 cup vegetable stock, chicken stock, or bone broth of choice (I used chicken bone broth)
- 6 tbsp grated Parmesean cheese
- In a heavy pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat
- Sauté the onion with the garlic until translucent.
- Add the coriander and cumin and heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste and heat until darkened, scraping often.
- Add the tomato puree, broth, baking soda, parsley, basil, bay leaf, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for ten minutes.
- Add Parmesan cheese and stir until incorporated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches.
I finally finished my library book, but then succumbed to the call of the New Release shelf and picked up two more books to add to my TBR pile. I may have a problem.
The last few days I’ve been battling sickness; I even decided today would be a rest day from running.
That turned out to be a good idea as I also had Candlelight practice, and so far today I’ve been working on cleaning the kitchen and living room.
Wheat have you been doing?