It’s Sunday, and that can only mean one thing: last night, I made and ate a hamburger. Specifically, a burger featured on the hit series, Bob’s Burgers.
The “Mush-aroom About Nothing” Burger [S9:E12 “The Helen Hunt”]
About the Episode
When Teddy’s crush Helen (who definitely didn’t kill her husband) asks Teddy a favor, the Belchers find themselves searching an apartment building for a valuable Japanese netsuke.
Bob and Gene attempt to fix a sink, and Linda, Tina, and Louise play matchmaker in a love triangle.
Nothings going to go wrong, right?
About the Burger
Krystal likes mushrooms but not the texture. In this burger, I tried to give it a mushroom flavor without the texture.
- 3 cups stock; I was lucky and found mushroom stock
- 1 package dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 tbsps butter
- 6 tbsp flour
- Seasonings of choice; I used crushed red pepper, oregano, coriander, and thyme
- 1 lb or so of ground beef
- Monterrey cheese; I was lucky again to find some leek and morel mushroom cheese.
- Rehydrate the dried mushrooms in the stock according to directions. Strain out the mushrooms, reserving the liquid.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the flour to make a roux.
- Add back the stock and mix well to make a mushroom gravy.
- Finely dice, chop, or mince the mushrooms into a fine paste.
- Mix the paste and desired seasonings (to taste) into the beef and form into patties.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Grill as normal and top with cheese in the last minute or so.
Krystal said the mushroom taste wasn’t prominent. Given all the mushrooms I put in the burger, maybe I just didn’t give her enough sauce? She also got a bit of gristle which turned her off.
I liked it well enough, but it would need some adjustment of the seasonings. It needed a little something more.
Come back next week when we’ll try a new, as-yet-to-be-determined burger!
Our featured image comes from Andrew Heath. Check out his website and – if it’s your thing – buy some of his art or buy his game, Burger Battle! I’m not on commission or anything, just doing my part to support a great and talented fan artist.