It’s Sunday morning, and that can only mean one thing: last night, I made and ate a hamburger. Specifically, a burger featured on the hit series, Bob’s Burgers.
The Murder, Kimchi Wrote Burger [S9:E16 “Romain’ Bob-iday”]
About the Episode
When the family forces Bob to take a day off, he wanders aimlessly until he ends up working at Patricia’s 77 Sandwiches. With Bob gone, Linda and the kids find themselves hosting a *very* last-minute baby shower for a member of local biker group The One-Eyed Snakes.
About the Burger
This burger was a first for several reasons.
Not only was it the first time I’ve used kimchi, but it was also the first time I made a veggie burger. That’s right: this burger contained no meat. (It did, however, contain egg, cheese, and mayo, so it isn’t vegan.)
- Kimchi (I used a mild variety)
- Cheese (I used a combination of cheddar and Muenster)
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 TBSP mayo (I made black garlic mayo by finely chopping 2 bulbs of black garlic per 1/2 cup of mayo and mixing well)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp onion salt
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Make the Patties
- Cook the black rice according to package instructions
- Meanwhile, mash the beans in a large bowl
- When the rice has finished cooking, combine rice and all other ingredients until well mixed
- You may want to combine the breadcrumbs a little at a time to avoid over-dryness
- Form into patties. I got 6 patties total.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper.
Make the Burger
- Cook patties, about 5-6 minutes per side
- Melt a slice of cheese over each patty
- Spread mayo on both top and bottom buns
- Put arugula on bottom bun
- Put patty on arugula
- Top patty with kimchi
- Put top bun in place
- Serve with fries
this burger was good but needed some crispness in my opinion. Maybe some bacon.
Come back next week when we’ll try a new, as-yet-to-be-determined burger!
Our featured image comes from Andrew Heath. Check out his website and – if it’s your thing – buy some of his art or his game: Burger Battle! I’m not on commission or anything, just doing my part to support a great and talented fan artist.